Thursday, March 26, 2009

Passing Down the Gift of Blurry Vision

Today, Dalton received his first pair of glasses. Shane and I knew when we got married that when we had kids, we would be able to pass down to our kids this wonderful genetic trait of blurry vision. Shane and I both had absolutely horrible vision before having Lasik surgery. It's just too bad that when you have your eyesight "fixed" that it doesn't "fix" your genetic makeup as well because you're probably still going to pass this wonderful gift down to your kids. We knew this day was coming that Dalton would need glasses, but we just hoped that it would be another few years before his bad eyesight showed up. A couple of weeks ago Dalton's teacher let us know that Dalton was having trouble with some things in the classroom, but when she moved him up to the front he began to do much better. She said that he just couldn't see when he was in the back. I took him to an eye doctor Tuesday. I knew Dalton was in trouble when the nurse had Dalton try to read some letters on the wall and only was able to read a couple of rows. The nurse looked at me and said, "Does he know his letters?" I said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure he does." The poor little guy knew his letters well, but just couldn't see well enough to read them. Anyway, Dalton has been so excited about getting his new glasses. I know his excitement won't last, but he was enjoying moving them up an down on his face comparing his new world with glasses and the world without glasses. I guess I just keep thinking about all the years he'll have to go through with wearing glasses and contacts. He's starting so young with them too. **Sigh**

2 comments:

The Brantley's said...

I understand...I cried the day we found out Bruce was going to have to wear glasses. He was 18 months...so pretty much his whole life he will wear glasses.

The Leary Family said...

I know your heart is heavy...but you must admit...he is ADORABLE!!!!
Sweet guy!