Sunday, February 17, 2008

Death on Wheels Part II: Colby's Turn


My mom with Colby

Well, I decided to finally let Colby have a turn at the skates that he received for Christmas. His skates are much different than Dalton's- much easier to skate on. Actually there wasn't a whole lot of skating going on. It was more like walking on wheels, but definitely good for his first skates. I don't think he ever even fell. Dalton's skates on the other hand are the Mac-Daddy of roller skates. I don't think I ever had any that were that nice- maybe when I had roller blades.

All of the skating the boys have been doing lately has gotten me to thinking about when I first learned to skate. I believe the first time I ever went skating was at the Bibb Skate Arena in south Macon. I think the place is still in business too although it looks a little run down. I know I was a bit older than Dalton when I first went to the skating rink, probably about 8 or 9. I was never all that great at it. I never won any races or the limbo. Then came roller blading. I was in college when I first got a pair of roller blades. For some reason, I had to deck myself out in the knee pads and wrist guards. Safety first I guess. I probably looked like a dork. It was a lot of fun back in the day roller blading around the VSU campus and also around the graveyard that was close by. I wonder what happened to my roller blades?

0 comments: